Essex 1909 Gathering wild vetch at Ramsey near Harwich
By Louis Burleigh Bruhl
Born in 1862,died in 1942, Louis lived at Watford and Romford in the intervening years. He was a prolific oil and water-colour artist, often producing small detailed pictures. In time he became president of the Watercolour Society.
- Ramsey, Essex
- In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ramsey like this:
- A village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands on a creek of the river Stour, 2 miles W by S of Dovercourt r. station, and 3 W S W of Harwich; commands a fine view over the river Stour; and has a post-office under Harwich, and a fair on 15 June. The parish comprises 5, 238 acres of land, and 1, 455 of water. Real property, £6, 856. Pop., 605. Houses, 139. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to E. W. Garland, Esq. Stour Hall, Hill House, Foulton Hall, and South Hall are chief residences. About 500 acres were recently embanked from the sea. Copperas has been worked near Stourwood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £301.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church stands on a hill, and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a parochial school, and charities £38